Sunday, June 22, 2008

Weekend Worship - Where Have All the Bibles Gone?

There is a new trend emerging among Christian churches across America. I don't know if this trend is occuring worldwide, but it has become painfully obvious here in the USA. Christians everywhere are forsaking the age old tradition of bringing their Bibles to church.

The age of technology has reached a new low by accommodating believers with what I call "The Power Point Worship Service". With sermon Scriptures now printed on huge screens in nearly every thriving church across America, Christians have been quick to lay aside their Bibles and head to church empty-handed. I want to argue that there are many dangers in this ever-popular, growing trend. They are:


1. The pastor/teacher cannot be held accountable.
While we all want to be able to trust our pastors/teachers, the sad truth is that there are many men and women who preach from the pulpit who are deceivers and false teachers. They could essentially put any words on the screen, not necessarily words from the Bible, and without your Bible in your lap you would never know the difference.

2. Studying is nearly impossible without the Word of God at hand.
I certainly don't have this down yet, but my goal is to always carry the Word of God with me wherever I go. Why? Second Timothy 3.16 says, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" and 2 Timothy 2.15 says, "Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of truth." How can we study without our Bibles?

3. We set a poor example for non-believers.
Why would a non-believer want to follow a lifestyle that we ourselves don't even care about? See 2 Timothy 2.15 again. We want to do everything possible to show ourselves approved by God!

4. We set a poor example for new believers.
In Psalm 119:105 David says to the Lord, "Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." In the same chapter, in verse 162 he says, "I rejoice at Your Word as one who finds great treasure!" We need to show new believers what a great passion can be ignited in our spirits if we devote ourselves to reading and fervently studying the Scriptures daily!

What do you think about this trend? Do you think it's okay or wrong for the church today? Why or why not?

2 comments:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I definitely agree. I hear pastor's so often say, "If you have your Bibles please turn to . . .". We should always have our Bibles. We all need to be held accountable. We all need to make sure what people are saying is Scripturally accurate.

Karla said...

You know just yesterday my three year old came home from children's church and told me that she needed to start bringing her Bible to church every Sunday. I was thrilled, but I felt terrible at the same time that I haven't taught her to take it before. My husband and I always take ours. I don't know how folks survive without them in church. I write all in mine.