Monday, July 13, 2009

Get Your Finances In Line In 2009: June Recap

June was a fun and kind of crazy month here at the Stone household. We went on vacation and it was fantastic. We spent every penny of our vacation budget and never once felt bad about it! Now I absolutely understand the beauty of going on vacation with cold hard CASH. Noooo stinky credit cards. Pew.

Three members of our family had dentist appointments and....I can't exactly remember what it was but something else happened last month that sort of through a loop in our average monthly expenses. Sadly, we weren't able to contribute any additional funds to our FFEF, but we also didn't have to take any money from it either...which is a blessing!

Last week we got an overpayment from our escrow account (now that the Indiana tax fiasco seems to finally be settling out) so we are planning to use a bit of that for some extra things we've been needing and hopefully we'll stash some of it into our savings in addition to our regular monthly funding.

This month's "update" looks pretty identical to last month....

Goal #1: Save up and pay CASH for our 5-day vacation to Mackinac Island in June! :) ---- 100% completed ----

Goal #2: Fully fund our 6 month emergency fund and put into a money market account to be left UNTOUCHED unless there is an actual emergency. ---- 40.5% completed ----

Goal #3: Save for my husband to get a "new" (that means used) car.

Goal #4: Raise retirement contributions to 12% (with a 4% match).

Goal #5: Open a money market account for each of our children.

Goal #6: Begin paying extra principal on our mortgage.

Goal #7: Establish a will and testament. ---- Still thinking about working on this... ----

Goal #8: Get disability insurance for both my husband and me. ---- We're still in the process of finalizing this for my husband. Which really means, I have the paperwork in my email inbox and that's about as far as we've gotten. ----

Since June was so dull, I'm extra excited to see where we'll be by the end of July!

It seems unlikely BUT I'd love to be able to say that we have completed our FFEF by the end of 2009! Doing so would require some extra pay (extra business for me and/or OT or a raise for my hubby) and probably some extra scrimping, but OH MAN would that be fun! We'll see how things go....

1 comment:

Andy and Cari said...

ummm...toally unrelated, but pictures and stories from the cow day??? I'm waiting!!!!