Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tasty Tuesday - Meatloaf!


I used to think I didn't like meatloaf. But when I got old enough to make it myself, I realized that it wasn't the meatloaf I didn't like - it was the pieces of cracker in the meatloaf. When I decided to try my own meatloaf, I went with bread crumbs instead. I now love meatloaf and probably make it too regularly.

A few people have asked me for my meatball/meatloaf recipe. I happen to think it's the best one ever, but then again...I'm probably a bit partial. Anyway, I'm killing two birds with one stone by posting it here because I'm all about saving time. :)

I have to admit I don't really measure the things I put in my meatloaf, so I will try to give the best estimates possible. All in all, meatloaf is pretty hard to mess up, so just throw in what you have and it will probably turn out great!

Meatballs/Meatloaf

1 1/2 lb ground beef (extra lean)
1 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 large egg OR 2 large egg whites
1 T. mustard
1 1/2 t. chili powder
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1-2 t. worcestershire sauce

For meatloaf: Shape meat into a 9" x 5" loaf. Place on broiler pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 mins or until thermometer read 160 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Makes 1 loaf.

For meatballs: Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes approximately 30-40 meatballs.

Both the meatloaf and the meatballs also freeze well. I usually make several loaves and meatballs and freeze them at the beginning of the month. Pull meatloaf out and place in fridge two days before use. Meatballs may go directly from the freezer to the oven - just add a few more minutes to the bake time.

No comments: