Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tasty Tuesday . . . Irish Mint Brownies


People, I cannot even describe the awesomeness of these brownies. I am a lover of chocolate and brownies and mint and with the three rolled into one - I am in heaven. So my friend Michelle made these wonderful brownies for me when I had my second child and I got the recipe from her and made them myself. They are a LOT of work - but they are worth every second of it. And you can freeze them.

Irish Mint Brownies

TIME: Prep: 45 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling

Serves: 30

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup butter, cubed
  • 4 squares (1 ounce each) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) double dark chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • FILLING:
  • 4 squares (1 ounce each) white baking chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 cup refrigerated Irish creme nondairy creamer
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 15 mint Andes candies, chopped
  • ICING:
  • 12 squares (1 ounce each) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • mint Andes candies, halved, optional

Directions:

In a saucepan over low heat, melt butter and bittersweet chocolate; cool slightly. In a bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla. Stir in chocolate mixture. Gradually add flour until blended. Stir in chips and walnuts. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack.
In a small saucepan, combine white chocolate and creamer. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth; remove from the heat. Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes or until chilled. In a mixing bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; fold into white chocolate mixture. Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 4 minutes. Fold in chopped candies. Spread over brownies. Cover and refrigerate.
In a small saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate and cream. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted and smooth; remove from the heat. Stir in butter until melted. Cool to room temperature. Carefully spread over filling. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until icing is set. Cut into bars. Garnish with additional candies if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.


You can find the original recipe here at Taste of Home which is where the picture is from also.

-Gretchen


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have taken the crown for brownies from here on out. I hand it over to you. You can be in charge of bringing the brownies every time we do something with the class at church. YES, NO longer Mamabeaz boring brownies! Now it is Gretchen's awesome mint brownies!!!

Lindsey said...

Perhaps I should master mashed potatoes first. They do sound delicious though. Are you taking orders?! :)

Elizabeth said...

Oh I am on this!!! I think it will take me slightly longer than the esimated prep and bake time. I'm thinking I need to clear at least an afternoon for this since I don't cook. But I'm sure it will be well worth it!! How can people not believe in God when there are things like mint and brownie?