Sunday, March 9, 2008

Weekend Worship - Tithing


I have to admit....I get so SICK of my Christian friends telling me that they "cannot afford to tithe" or that they "tithe when they are able". As if it's even their money to begin with! These friends of mine seem to have their thoughts a little bit backwards. God allows us to keep 90% of our income and requires that we give Him ONLY 10%. I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

The problem with people thinking that they can't tithe is simply a misunderstanding of how the world works. People who say they can't afford to tithe think that, because they have a job, their money is theirs. WRONG. God provided the job and God gives the money. None of our money is ours. None. It all belongs to the Lord and He is so graciously allowing us to use it while we live here on earth.

The most irritating part is that these people - the ones who "can't afford to tithe" - have money for lots of other things. They are the "owners" (and I put that in quotes because, of course, the bank actually owns them) of brand new cars, they go on expensive vacations, they eat out often, they have all the latest toys (and so do their kids)....and they have the audacity to tell the high and mighty God of heaven and earth that they "can't afford" to give Him 10% of what is already His???

I realize that this sounds more like a rant than anything else, but I am very passionate about this subject. Don't tell me you "can't afford" to tithe back to the Lord who has freely given you all things. Why? Because it's His money anyway!

That just irks me!

Now, I realize that I have faults of my own. I am by no means perfect - not even close. But God has clearly laid out in Scripture that all of my possessions (including my money) belong to Him. They are not mine; therefore He has a right to at least 10%.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It only sounds like "ranting" to people who don't believe in it. To those of us that live by it, it sounds like awesome advice. If someone is a christian and they trust that God can get them to heaven, why can't they trust Him with their finances? Tell it like it is, there's not enough time left for this earth to be "tip-toeing" around people.

Anonymous said...

I know there is a reason that I've been stuck on reading your blog today. When I saw the title of the post, I knew I was going to get a good tongue lashing from you as I read. I must admit, tithing is an area of spiritual life that I've let go to the wayside. I always find myself saying that I will pay it next week and next week comes and something else comes up. I start and stop, start and stop. I feel so bad about this and it usually weighs heavily on my soul. You're right, it isn't mine and I need to make a commitment to make tithing my priority before any other bills are paid. Thank you so much.

Heidi Stone said...

Tina:

I find that it helps to write out your tithe check THE DAY YOU GET PAID. Once the check is written and your checkbook shows a lower balance, you won't even have to think about it.