Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday - The Laundry Table

In light on our recent decision to turn our dining room into a small studio space for me, we've been reorganizing and moving around all sorts of things in our home. One of the things we moved what a 6-ft long table from our kitchen to our loft.

My husband made the table a few years ago to match the design of our real kitchen table. It's beautiful, really. But I guess I should explain that it's more of a bar than a table. It's only 2 feet wide, but it's perfect for large group seating. Anyway, we moved it upstairs into our absolutely empty loft.

Why is our loft empty, you ask? Well, because. We have 3 small toddlers in our home and, with an open loft, you really can't put any furniture there without fear that they will climb over the edge and...well....you know. But since there are NO portable chairs upstairs, we thought it would be safe to put this rather tall table in the loft.

It's been there for 2 days and let me just say - it's been a HUGE blessing when it comes to folding laundry!

Previously (and by that, I mean, for the past 4 years), I've always just thrown the laundry on the floor of the loft until I was ready to fold it. And since it was soooo easy to just push it off to the side, we oftentimes wound up with 4 or 5 loads of laundry there on the floor, making folding time about 45 minutes long. (Eek.)

The fact that we are capable of having 4 or 5 loads of laundry in one place without folding it for a day or two is surely a sign that we all have waaayy too many clothes. But I digress.

In the past 2 days, I've folded 4 loads of laundry as they came out of the dryer on the table. No bending down. No reaching across the loft for the matching sock. And my husband's personal favorite, no falling asleep in the loft after folding clothes for nearly an hour straight. :) I'm sure my success has something to do with the fact that I'm beginning to FINALLY come out of my sick pregnant stage and feel energetic again, but I think some of it probably has to do with the ease of the table too. :)

So now I'm wondering...is having a laundry table a common thing for most Americans? Or am I the only one? If you have the space and don't have one already, I highly recommend giving it a try! It's been wonderful!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I found you Heidi!! Lol...

Queen Alea said...

My husband was a sweetie when I was pregnant, and he set up a table for me right by the dryer. It was awesome! Why am I not still doing this I wonder?