Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tasty Tuesday - Meals I Love

My mom's not much of a cook. She doesn't like cooking, so I don't think she'll be offended by that. What she does make, she makes amazingly well, but again....she doesn't really like to do it. But since I happen to like cooking, oftentimes when I visit my parents I want to do a little bit of that while I'm there.

HOWEVER.....

It never fails that I don't have the right recipe on my blog and then have to call my husband and have him relay the recipe to me over the phone. Not only is this dangerous (you know how things can be misconstrued on the phone), but it's also slow since my husband is usually at work when I think of the recipe I want.

So, I've decided to post a few of the recipes that I love and that I may decide to make while I'm visiting my parents this weekend. It's possible that one or more of these recipes have been posted before, but you can just skip over that one/those. :) This post is more for me than for anyone else, but it never fails that if I tell someone about a recipe, they want me to post it here. So this time, I can say, "I'm way ahead of ya!" I'm including the links to the original recipes if available, although I have altered some of these.

Ok, these are a few of my favorite things......*insert music here*.......

Baked Oatmeal
- I just tried this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago. It. Is. Awesome. Normally I hate oatmeal - and I do mean HATE - but this stuff is amazing.

Grease 8x8 pan. Mix together the following, adding milk last:

1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
3 c. oats
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. milk

Pour into pan. Bake @ 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned. For a double batch, bake in 9x13 pan.


Really Easy Breakfast Casserole

6-8 slices of bread
1 lb. of sausage, cooked and drained
1 dozen eggs
8 - 12 oz. grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Spray casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer bread in the bottom of pan. Sprinkle the bread with sausage. Pour beaten eggs over sausage. Sprinkle cheese over eggs. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Biscuits Supreme


2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. cream of tarter
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. shortening
2/3 c. milk

Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening. Make a well in center of mixture and add milk. Stir til moistened. On floured surface, knead dough 10-12 times. Pat to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into biscuits. Bake @ 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


Chicken Pot Pie

4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
8 oz. sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 box frozen peas and carrots
Pillsbury pie crust (or make your own)

Mix together sour cream and soup. Mix chicken with veggies. (Add a little water if it's too thick.) Pour into unbaked pie shell. Cover with another pie crust and seal. Bake @ 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden brown.


French Toast

2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1/4 c. sugar
dash of cinnamon
6 slices bread

Mix all but milk and bread together. Add milk. Dip bread into milk to cover both sides. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Cook over medium-high heat on a greased griddle until browned.


Meatloaf/Meatball -I don't really have definite measurements for these. If someone asks for the recipe, I usually just make them up, which is what I'm going to do here. :)

1 lb. ground beef
2-3 c. bread crumbs
1/2 - 1 chopped onion (we like onion!)
1-2 eggs
1 T. mustard
1/4 t. chili powder
1 T. Worcestershire
salt and pepper to taste

Meatballs: Form ball. Baked on greased cookie sheet (with sides!) @ 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

Meatloaf: Form into log. Bake on broiler rack @ 350 degrees for 1 hour or until meat thermometer reaches 160 degrees.

1 comment:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

Sounds yummy! You are going to be busy. I am still waiting for the apron pictures!