Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday - Less Is More

On Monday, I decided enough was enough. Keaton moved into his new room a few months ago but we never really made a full transition from guest room/extra room to little boy room. We still had lots of our own (me and my husband) books as well as some loose movies and a game system lying around in there. I kept getting frustrated with the kids when they would play with those things.

But then I realized this morning that that's really not fair. If I don't want them to touch those things, I should move them out of his room. After all, it's no longer a guest room. It's his room. So we pulled the toys out of the closet and put them in his room and moved all the non-kid books into the closet.

I'm pretty pleased with the transition, so I thought I'd share some pictures with you:

DSC_0062

DSC_0063

You can see that my son does not have an entire room devoted to his toys. In fact, this is the pile of toys for my son and my two daughters. I'm a firm believer that children NEED less in order to appreciate what they have. Plus, it's also a lot easier to get them to pick up their toys when there aren't so many to pick up. We have a tub of toys downstairs in the living room, but other than that, this is the extent of our toys.

What is your opinion about "less is more"? Do your kids have a lot of toys or just a few? How about you? Do you have a lot of "toys"? And do you find that what you have or don't have plays into how you care for and appreciate your things?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that less is more....any point in your life. This of course is coming from a cleaning Nazi (aka Mamabeaz)!