Monday, September 29, 2008

Money Monday - Living on Beans and Rice for a Week!

Our pastor recently challenged our congregation by saying, "Would you be satisfied if all you had to eat was beans and rice?" The next weekend, I was having a conversation with a woman from our church who mentioned that she would like to take him up on the challenge and only eat beans and rice for a week. Then, coincidentally, Crystal @ MoneySavingMom recently did a post on that very thing. This got me thinking and I did some research on beans and rice menus. If you're interested in trying this out (or if you don't have an option), check out these links:

These first two are actually different, even though they have the same name!

How to Live on Beans and Rice for a Week, Almost (from But First, We Have Coffee)

How to Live on Beans and Rice for a Week -- Well, Almost (from Biblical Womanhood)

Beans and Rice Recipes (from About.com)

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to take up the challenge simply because I don't like beans...at all. So this would be a big adjustment for me. But I would like to start cooking with beans so I can be a little bit more normal...and perhaps lower our grocery budget even more! Let me know if you plan to take up the challenge!

3 comments:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

We are going to try it.

Tracy said...

This is so awesome..my husband and I actually decided last week to try eating rice and beans for dinner six nights a week for a month to try and save money on groceries. I can't wait to take a look at these recipes!

Anonymous said...

You've got it wrong and have NOT done what your pastor suggested. Your pastor was talking about living on beans and rice. You lived on beans and rice AND seasoning etc.

You think people in third world countries have seasonings and other things to go with the beans and rice?

If you truly live on beans and rice, the ONLY recipes are beans, rice, and beans and rice.

Americans always do things by halves don't they? It's like your food: it's never what it says on the tin.