Wednesday, October 28, 2009

DIY Moby Wrap

I'd like to preface this post by saying that there is a reason I stay behind the camera lens. I'm not good in pictures. I'm just not. I know everyone says that, but good grief, I'm terrible in front of the lens. I'd also like to apologize for the quality and tone of the pictures you're about to see. It was very dark in out kitchen when these were taken last night, but I insisted that my husband take a few pictures for illustration purposes. Ok, moving on with the post....

There are hundreds of different wraps, slings, and baby carriers on the market these days. I've never really been much into "babywearing" as it is called, but I did used to have a carrier that I used once or twice with our past children. But this year, with Savannah being born at the peak of swine flu season and the beginning of cold season, I decided it might be wise to keep her close for the first several weeks of her life. I consulted with my friend Cari who owned what appeared to be an extremely comfortable wrap.

Perhaps you've heard of the Moby wrap. It's gaining more popularity from what I can see, but in case you're not familiar with it, let me sum it up for you. The Moby wrap is a piece of 100% cotton, 6 yards in length and approximately 30 inches in width, that can be wrapped several times around your body for ultimate comfort and support when carrying your baby or toddler. Now, personally....I have no idea why anyone would ever want to wear their toddler. But that's another topic for another day.

Anyway, after chatting with Cari, I decided that I would peruse the clearance fabric section at a few stores before I went and paid $40 for a wrap that I wasn't even sure I'd like. So I went to Joann and found a lovely green fabric - 100% cotton. The only downside was that the ends rolled a bit, but....eh, no biggie. It was about 60 inches wide, so I actually got two wraps for a total of $15. I was pretty happy.

res Baby Wrap

But I thought it might be fun to have more than one color.

See how I try to save money but then end up spending the same amount by buying more "frugal" things? I know. It's bad.

So I went to Walmart. They had no suitable fabrics in their clearance section, but I did run across some polyester knit fabric for $2/yard. I know polyester is warmer than cotton, but this fabric was a neutral color and, well, it was only $2/yard. So I bought 6 yards and made two more wraps.

Wrap3

It's an addiction, I realize. You don't have to tell me.

And yes, I did ask my husband if I looked fat as he was taking these pictures. Every woman does! Right?

Wrap2

Why yes, I do love reading the nutritional facts on the back of the peanut butter jar. Did you know that a serving size is 2 Tbsp?

I wound up sewing the edges of the second fabric I bought but haven't yet gotten around to sewing the edges of the green fabric. One of these days it'll happen. Maybe. But anyway, I now have 4 wraps (unnecessary, I know, but I'm giving at least one away) that cost me a total of $27. Not bad, if you ask me.

I'll leave you with what my husband calls "the paparazzi picture":

Wrap1

....you know...because I look ridiculous. Well....more ridiculous than normal anyway.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Nice job...you know, I'll be needing one of those in April :) And I'm with you, I have no idea why anyone would want to wear a toddler!

Miney said...

Ha ha.... :) She looks so sweet and snug in there. :) Very cute. No, you don't look fat. And I like knowing that someone else feels as awkward as I do in front of the camera.

Savvy Addy said...

L-O-V-E it - please let me know when you start marketing them so I can order one ;)...or at least the pdf version of the instructions!

Blessings and Hugs,
S

Unknown said...

Stumbled here from Google and wanted to let you know that you are gorgeous! You don't look awkward in these photos at all. Seriously, you're very cute. Take more photos. :)

Anyway, thanks for the information! I'm going to whip up a few of these as a Christmas gift for my little sister. Thanks again! :)

Savvy Addy said...

are there any hints to making these? I'd like to give a whirl but I am sewing challenged.

Rachael said...

Savvy Addy - there's no sewing needed! (unless you want to hem the edges or buy a fabric that frays). All you have to do is cut it in half width wise after you get the fabric home :)

Heidi Stone said...

Sorry, this is an old blog that I rarely check. I noted recently that my images have made it to Pinterest, which has lead to more comments. Rachael is right - sewing is optional if you get the right fabric! :)